Thursday, June 30, 2005

80% of Major Procedures

is covered by my insurance. (listening to "Same Old Thing" by The Streets)

So... my efforts to fully avoid any sort of dentistry ends after a stretch of about 6 years. Hutt-ah.

I'm going to be four teeth dumber as of tomorrow morning. That's right, bloggites. On July the first at 9am, I'm having my wisdom teeth removed forcibly from my jaw. One of them has been giving me quite the bad time recently, and so I'm not going to take any more of its guff. Wisdy, you're cut from the team.

I went to the dentist today to get my referral to the Oral Surgeon (which just sounds dirty to me. Don't ask why.) and the x-rays of my offending tooth is actually quite humorous. Apparently the term "wisdom tooth" is a bit of a misnomer, since the other, less-wise teeth had no problem coming in parallel to their neighbors. Unlike our friend Wisdy, which apparently was dropped on its little tooth head when it was small. 45 degrees is not straight, Wisdy! Get your S together. What a buzzkill.

Anyway, I'm slightly nervous regarding tomorrow's procedure. They asked if I wanted to be awake for the "extraction" tomorrow, and I said to myself, "You know, in spite of the fact that there will probably be little 'pain,' (novocaine is my friend) I really don't think I want the memory of four large teeth being ripped from my jaw to haunt me. In fact, if possible, can I be allowed to wake up next wednesday sometime?" So, I'll be unconscious while they tear into my jawbone, thankyouverymuch.

Those of you who are the praying type, please feel free to genuflect with me in mind this evening. Those of you who aren't, raise a glass to my health tomorrow morning. Here's hoping I wake up from the drug-induced coma. If not, whoever's in charge of my estate please keep in mind that whoever can write the best one-page essay about how great I was can have first dibs on my stuff.

That is all.

5 comments:

nobody's starling said...

hope the yanking of the teeth went well.





p.s. i finally watched House. that is so you in like 15 years after your wit and sarcasm has aged into cynicism and fatalism.
(who shot him?!)

The Madjai said...

House got shot?!?!?

nobody's starling said...

in the leg? and now he's addicted to vicodin?

The Madjai said...

He wasn't shot. He had a blood clot form in his leg, and he decided to have them remove the clot, rather than the preferred amputation (I forget why, exactly, but they wanted to amputate, he told them to F off, and just remove the clot). In any event, as the blood flow resumed, the pain of the nerves waking up again was excruciating, and there was no guarantee that he wouldn't end up losing the leg anyway. He asked to be put in an induced coma to sleep through the regeneration. His (wife? girlfriend?) took the opportunity while he was out to have them remove the muscle in the leg that was offending him. She could do this because while he was in a coma, she was his caretaker.

House never forgave her for making the decision that saved his life at the cost of his leg, so they split. At the end of Season one, she comes to work in the hospital that House practices in.

jeremyorion said...

That's funny, House reminded me of Nick also. In fact thats how I got Nick hooked. (sucker)

Hope you're eating solid foods and such. Take care, friend.