Sunday, June 05, 2005

15 Things

Inspiration from Daisy's blog, part one. (listening to "Turn Me On," Norah Jones)

So, Daisy has posed the thought of compiling a list of 15 things you look for in finding a potential mate. While this can be limiting in the manner that if you have a specific list of things that you look for when looking for someone, you're likely to miss someone great who may not "fit the bill," I think it's important to know where to start from. In that vein, here's my impromptu list. Let's begin, in no particular order.

1) Conversationalist. Any good relationship should begin with the ability to converse on a deeper level than "Fire bad, tree pretty."
2) Trusting. While trust must be earned, and that comes not easily, the ability to have faith in someone, and know that you can always count on them is integral to any good relationship.
3) Likes skinny guys. I, myself am skinny. So, liking that would be near the top of the list.
4) Tolerant. I think this point pretty much speaks for itself. While I'm not a big fan of the word itself (holds connotations of grudging acceptance, rather than true admiration), the spirit of acceptance of differences is a big deal for me.
5) Forgiving. I F up. More than my fair share. And forgiveness following my contriteness... necessary.
6) Accountability. The ability to hold both herself and myself accoutable for mistakes and successes kinda flows hand in hand with Forgiveness. Only after we've accepted the fact that we've F'ed up, can we be forgiven for it.
7) Attractiveness. Call me shallow. I've got 15 things, and yeah, this is one of them.
8) Cuddly. I'm a physical person. I like to hold and be held.
9) Philosopher. Having thoughts and opinions on why we do the things we do and why things are the way they are reveals a sense of self-awareness and responsibility. Speaking of which...
10) Responsibility. When I worked for a children's theatre company, one of their core values was "Be impeccable with your word." Which, very simply, means if you say you're going to do something, do it. Responsibility is a grown up word for honesty, with a slight moral upgrade. And... at 23, I think I fall into that category (grown-up).
11) Experimental. I like trying new things, and I like people to try new things with me. Be it Skydiving or Sushi, come along for the ride.
12) Commitment. Things get tough. Good times come and go, and there are fights and hair-tearing-out moments. The ability to stick through that knowing that there's something underneath all of that not worth losing... well, that's the girl for me.
13) Humor. If this were an ordered list, this would probably be up a bit higher. What I lack in physical beauty, I make up for in mirth. Come and laugh with me.
14) Humility. We are what we are. And to recognize that we're all flawed people with things to learn from each other is the first step towards real intimacy.
15) Spiritual. Last and not AT ALL least. While we don't necessarily have to agree on the finer points of our respective faith-systems, to believe that a higher power guides us and watches over us hoping for the best... that's a big deal with me.

Anything I missed? Probably. But this is a good start. Think you fit the bill? Drop me a line. :)

7 comments:

jeremyorion said...

Thats also my favorite Bright Eyes lyric. I agree with you that making a list is a bad idea...or at least its just not the best idea. Take, for example, this article I read in some lame Cosmo-like magazine while waiting to start work the other day. It said that almost 70% of married men interviewed could not name the specific thing(s) that made them fall in love with their wives. Love is more than a list of characteristics. Its a vibe - a connection on a level that cannot be reduced to funny/pretty/smart.

I dont look for specific qualities in a girl, although I do notice them. I look for a connection. I think that, too often, you will come across a person that fits your list but is still missing that vibe. Conversely, if you restain yourself to a list, you might miss out on someone who you might end up falling in love with despite the fact that they don't conform to your preconceived ideas of who is right for you.

The Madjai said...

Am I the only one who read the opening paragraph to my blog? Wherein I recognize the inherent bad idea in making a list, but decide it's something fun and interesting to do anyway?

jeremyorion said...

Whatever, dude. You kissed a guy.

Chuck Carlson said...

he did, I saw him. It was on the mouth.

The Madjai said...

This coming from the two guys who've had sex while I was in the room? yeah.. don't think I forgot that S. J even did it twice. (two nights, not twice in one night. He's not that rocksteady, ladies.)

jeremyorion said...

I am too that rocksteady! Just ask...um...ok so there is no one to back that up. But seriously, ladies, I really am.

Chuck Carlson said...

He did, I saw him. It was on the mouth